Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Entry 3

I started looking at some places that host open mic nights and have so far found the E street cafe in Encinitas. I know of the Metaphore in Escondidio but it is more geared towards metal. I know there is a commune around San Marcos and that they have their own sort of open jam session/open mic but I'm not too sure if that still goes on.

As for interviews I already mentioned interviewing performers but also listeners of folk/indie music to see how they view it.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/e-street-cafe-encinitas-2 ( e street yelp page)

So since I chose the open mic/ community/folk/indie scene Iv'e been trying to find a way to describe how they are all connected because clearly open mics have a community but are not restricted to folk and folk embraces community but can survive without the open mic scene. I'm still trying to figure this connection out but I was also thinking of asking this to potential interviewees.

I stumbled upon a site called folk alley and looked at their mission statement which reads

"Folk Alley strives to bring folk music to the world via the Internet, reaching across the miles and the generations to provide global exposure for an art form with long-standing tradition and a loyal fan community".

Immediately one notices that a sense of community is stressed, along with continuity. Their open mic tab (surprise surprise they have an open mic section) describes that they welcome under-exposed and developing musicians and their only requirement is that musicians wither play their own music or music of the public domain (not completely sure what that means).

I hope to soon figure out what my main goal in choosing this topic is and dive right into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment